Sign in to follow this  
Fifty

2020 Golf GTI and R getting big increases in HP

Article on Autoblog

Looks like the 2020 Golf GTI and R models are getting nice bumps in power. The R is going from 295 hp to 350. It already does 0-60 in the mid 4's. This is nuts. Golfs are one of the few cars you can still find in a 3-pedal manual transmission.

I like cars that perform and that aren't overly flashy. So this totally sets the timeframe in which I need to get Janice a new car...

31 minutes ago, Fifty said:

Article on Autoblog

Looks like the 2020 Golf GTI and R models are getting nice bumps in power. The R is going from 295 hp to 350. It already does 0-60 in the mid 4's. This is nuts. Golfs are one of the few cars you can still find in a 3-pedal manual transmission.

I like cars that perform and that aren't overly flashy. So this totally sets the timeframe in which I need to get Janice a new car...

More than likely just for Europe and other markets Shad! And this is VW's response the new Hyundai  i30N, which will sadly not see a North American release either.

I would so rather have an i30N than an old dated VW that still looks the same it did back in 2008!

The i30N will have 275hp, and will only be available in standard!

Even an entry level Elantra Sport like mine comes with 201hp and 228ft of torgue. Time to reevaluate and take a look at Hyundai!!

hyundai-i30n-02.thumb.jpg.924200697d8a9d088ff800ec89e2113c.jpg

I'd take a VW before a Hyundai. Hyundai has good products but after the bad luck, my in-laws had...  

Looks for cars isn't that important it more the comfort to drive... my truck is like a black block but the drive is awesome. 

8 hours ago, n00bxQb said:

Civic Type R kills it and they are rumoured to have an AWD version coming.

Yes there is the Type R. The Civic SI is a disappointment. It only has 4 more HP and has less torque than my Elantra Sport. The only thing it has going for it is that it comes with limited slip differential which helps it out of the corners better.

14 hours ago, n00bxQb said:

Civic Type R kills it and they are rumoured to have an AWD version coming.

I really like the Type R's numbers but it is too flashy for my tastes.

As much as I like the mileage of my Mazda 3 with the Skyactiv I definitely miss driving a car that performs. Looking forward to being back in that market in what I hope is a couple of years. There seems to be plenty of neat stuff coming including the new Genesis line, the Kia Stinger and rumoured new Speed models from Mazda.

6 minutes ago, Fifty said:

I really like the Type R's numbers but it is too flashy for my tastes.

As much as I like the mileage of my Mazda 3 with the Skyactiv I definitely miss driving a car that performs. Looking forward to being back in that market in what I hope is a couple of years. There seems to be plenty of neat stuff coming including the new Genesis line, the Kia Stinger and rumoured new Speed models from Mazda.

Do not put any hopes on seeing a new Mazda Speed's any time soon

“It’s important not to get hung up on numbers,” Yamamoto-san told us. “Not on power, or torque. No, what is more important is the feeling. The driving experience and feeling is more important than power.

“In my mind it just has to be fun to drive,” he added. He also said that the new MX-5 won’t get any more engine derivatives either, meaning buyers will only ever have the option of a 1.5-litre with 129bhp, or a 2.0-litre making 158bhp."

The Genesis G70 and Kia Stinger, both look freaking amazing, but are cars that are easily $45-$50k each! Expect the G70 to come in at $55k+. But the stats and the gadgets those two cars have is amazing. My favorite is the adaptive suspension, that changes to the way you want to drive!

The Type R is too much ricer for this old fart!

That's disappointing to hear that the new R isn't planned on seeing a NA release. It totally ticks all the boxes for me with a MT, understated styling and terrific performance for the price (fully loaded you're looking at $42K for a 2018 model).