Sign in to follow this  
Fifty

Xbox Game Pass to include MS exclusive new releases

Link to Phil Spencer's announcement

If I read this correctly it appears all new exclusive Xbox One games will be available to Game Pass subscribers right from launch day. With games like Sea of Thieves and especially Crackdown 3 coming that immediately makes me interested.

I can't help but wonder if this is the beginning of a movement towards a subscription based service along the lines of Spotify, Apple Music or Beachbody on Demand. At the same time, if I just plopped full price to get in to the Sea of Thieves beta that starts this week I'd maybe be kind of upset.

I have mixed thoughts on this.  For one, it really is a cool idea and can help the 'average' gamer who doesn't want to plop down the full price of a game get the experience of a first party title right off the get-go.

The other thing I wonder though is how this affects developers. How do they make their money then given that the game will be on a 'subscription' service.  What is not stopping a consumer to play to play here, subscribe for 3 months, MS gets the subscription money, and they play the game for 3 months, plus a few others. What does the actual developer see?

Finally, for those that don't want to pay for another subscription service, and buys their games outright, how does this affect them.  Do they feel slighted, mad, or whatever.

Just my 2 1/2 cents worth.

@The Outcast, I am quite confident the model has been researched thoroughly to ensure  that both sides make money. Otherwise there would be no incentive for a developer to put their games on Gamepass, if they didn't see a return on investment to do so.

People used to laugh at me back in 2007 for pay $9.95 to Yahoo Music to rent their collection of music, and play it on my MP3 player when and where I was or wanted to. And now look at the music subscription industry?

Maybe Gamepass and other's like it on the PC, will be the future of gaming? I mean MS and Sony have both hinted that the gaming industry is heading towards a service rather than a stand alone business unit. 

If people can't afford the subscription, can they really afford to buy games? They are 79.99 right now, so in theory if you buy two brand new games a year that covers a sub. With MS model we see more than two newer titles, maybe not AAA titles but you end up saving money in my eyes. I got the pass previously for my sons to play some games that I wasn't interested in buying.

I told them I am going to keep it because it's cheaper for me to do it than get Sea of Thieves and Crackdown 3 at full price.

Also, if it's going all digital you never know what the developers actually get. When it was physical and sold at EB, then traded and resold (where they got nothing on that trade) they lost out on a lot of money.  Let's use Sea of Thieves for example. Let's so that generates 500,000 new users to Game Pass. That's 6,000,000 Canadian in revenue.   I am sure they have metrics of how many people download their new title and they get a chunk of that pie.

300, 000 stay on the next month, Another, 3.6 mill, Drop that in half, 150,000 is 1.8 mill and maybe it nose drives after that to 50,000 dedicated users world wide for the next 3 months on average. That's another 1.8 million that the game generated. Let's Assume, that they get a modest 20% of that pot because that game produced those sales based on downloads.  That's 2.6 mill in revenue and I am only spit balling here.

This doesn't include any other added revenue they potentially earn from any loot boxes, cosmetics, etc. So basically, they are making Sea of Thieves for free to play for the most part - but this way they get a little more of the pie. Psychologically too, people will feel they are getting this new game for free or near free and are more likely toss 20 bucks into it because they felt they didn't have to buy it. 500,000 users  to start and maybe 20% buys 20 bucks in DLC on average equals 2 million in direct revenue to them.

I am rambling but I think this is a cash cow in disguise that most people won't see how much it will truly make them in the long run.

I'm currently leaning towards trying out Game Pass when Sea of Thieves comes out in March. In the past I've avoided this model as I leaned toward purchasing as I wanted to play it at anytime. We have went totally Digital purchase games in our house as we have more then one Xbox. So everyone has access to the full library on the Xbox One X and as long as my account is signed into one of the other Xbox One's the games are available as well. I wonder if Game Pass works the same way. Would like to see if I can get my wife out of Breath of the Wild and into Sea of Thieves possibly. 

Game pass games can work on other consoles. I just had to login into my account to download then to my son's so he could play them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnnyXeo said:

Game pass games can work on other consoles. I just had to login into my account to download then to my son's so he could play them.

Thanks for confirming JohnnyXeo