Sign in to follow this  
MartyB

PC gaming on TV

Have you guys ever had all the tech for something to work, and didn't know it?

I was looking at the Steam Link (http://store.steampowered.com/app/353380/Steam_Link/) as a way to bring my PC games to my big beautiful new 4k TV. Wireless, remote control support, the whole shebang. It's not cheap though, at $65. I then stumbled on Moonlight Streaming app (http://moonlight-stream.com/), which works the same as an nVidea Shield (for streaming games),  as long as you have:

-an Android TV (check, courtesy of my big beautiful new 4k TV)

-nVidea GameStream-compatible PC... 

I had never heard of this... Apparently as long as you have a nVidea GTX video card, you are good to go.

Download the app, sync up to my PC, and voila! Instant PC games on my TV, no fuss, no muss. Works great, and didn't cost me a penny!

13 hours ago, lucwolfe said:

no lag?

Very little lag. I would not play competitive multiplayer games, but it's good enough to be able to time jumps, reaction button presses, etc. Works great!

28 minutes ago, creeping judas said:

Cant you just connect your pc to your tv via a HDMI cord?

Unfortunately, PC and TV are not well positioned to do that. Plus, I'm in a rented apartment, so no possibility of going in the walls.

9 hours ago, MartyB said:

Very little lag. I would not play competitive multiplayer games, but it's good enough to be able to time jumps, reaction button presses, etc. Works great!

Unfortunately, PC and TV are not well positioned to do that. Plus, I'm in a rented apartment, so no possibility of going in the walls.

Ahh I see. I want a gaming computer and might get one soon, I think I will connect via HDMI and get a XBOX controller to be able to play the games on my couch!

On 30/01/2018 at 4:22 PM, creeping judas said:

Ahh I see. I want a gaming computer and might get one soon, I think I will connect via HDMI and get a XBOX controller to be able to play the games on my couch!

That's my set up. I have my PC beside on my desk beside the TV since I'm in a small Vancouver apartment. When I feel like playing on the TV, I hook up with HDMI and use the wireless controller adapter and sit on my couch. Gotta make sure to use Game Mode on the TV though. Latency can be pretty bad sometimes.

• Love 1

12 minutes ago, DixonButts said:

That's my set up. I have my PC beside on my desk beside the TV since I'm in a small Vancouver apartment. When I feel like playing on the TV, I hook up with HDMI and use the wireless controller adapter and sit on my couch. Gotta make sure to use Game Mode on the TV though. Latency can be pretty bad sometimes.

So if I have a regular LG 4K TV with HDR, and 60hz refresh that can mimick 120hz, am I going to have issues playing on my TV? I would mainly be looking at MMO's and stuff like that. Lord Of the Rings, WoW, and Maybe even that new thingy Black Desert?

On 2/3/2018 at 4:06 PM, creeping judas said:

am I going to have issues playing on my TV?

Depends. Luc made a post with listings of all TV lags. being the most important factor, I'd start there.

Tried out Titanfall 2 on my setup to see how it would react and I was pleasantly surprised. I would have to say there is no noticeable lag. 

On 03/02/2018 at 1:06 PM, creeping judas said:

So if I have a regular LG 4K TV with HDR, and 60hz refresh that can mimick 120hz, am I going to have issues playing on my TV? I would mainly be looking at MMO's and stuff like that. Lord Of the Rings, WoW, and Maybe even that new thingy Black Desert?

If your TV is ACTUALLY 120Hz and you can achieve 120 FPS with your set-up, then sure. You shouldn't have any latency problems but you still should be in Game Mode. My concern would be the "mimicking". You might get some blurred edges and latency - I know I have..