Sign in to follow this  
creeping judas

Sea of Thieves Beta Thoughts

So I played the stress test beta last night for about two and a half hours. And I am not feeling the love for this game! And maybe the retail version will be different, who knows?

At first I played with a large galley, and four other pirates, and within a minute someone had me locked up in a small jail cell on the ship. And no way of getting out?

I then played a solo guest, the game told me it would be harder, but that is ok. I started off in a room, with no direction or indication what to do. I finally made it outside, it was maybe midnight, and I couldnt see a damn thing. And once again, no indication of what to do what so ever. After about 45 minutes running around the island, I found a guy who was selling maps for treasure locations. Great got my 1st one at the cost of $0.00, not a bad deal. But once again, no indication of what to do next? I found a boat, assumed it was mine, and then after another 45 minutes I figured out how to use is. And that part was kind of fun. But once again, how do I activate my quest? Well, I decided to go down into the boat, to see if I could find a bed, to sleep until the morning and then perhaps I could see things. Now I ended up finding a map of the area, fantastic!! Still no, indication of what to do. After a little bit more of exploring I found a table where I could vote on a quest, got there, and after a few minutes figured out how to activate the quest finally. So now I am in possession of map of an island, with the location of the hidden treasure on it. Fantastic I thought, went back to the map, hoping somehow the island would pop out and I could mark it as a location for sail my ship to. And then I realized that I had to find the island via the shape of the island. Well didn't that take another 30 minutes to find the island. And once I found it, I circled it as a location I wanted to go to. Get up the top side, get my ship sailing, hoping for some kind of hint which was I was supposed to go? No such thing! So in order to get to the right location, you have to run from top side to the bottom side to see your location on the map, in relation to where you were going. What a pain in the ass!!

So once I get to the island, I notice there is already another boat there, so I throw anchor and go to my cannons, and try to fire at the ship. It tells me to press X to fire cannon, so I press X and nothing? No indication of why it wasn't firing, well doesn't the other guy get smart and realize that I am there, and he starts firing his working cannons, and blows me to smithereens! So there I am, in Davey Jones locker, thinking well that was a waste of time and effort, when a door to a portal opens up and I enter the portal. Thanks to the ocean gods I am being resurrected right on my ship, sweet I thought! But no, the other guy from the other ship is waiting on my ship for me to respawn, and soon as I do, he slices me like onions with a Ginsu knife and I am back in Davey Jones locker. Same scenario happens, but this time I'm prepared for the shit ass camper, and when I respawn I find that he had blown what was left of my boat. Ok, so I decide to go and swim to the island and try and find the treasure, which I do after a bit of searching and wishing it wasn't so bloody dark outside. So I grab my loot and swim out to this beacon which I assumed was my ship. And when I get there with my loot, there is Odin asking me I wanted to have my ship resurrected, to which I said hell yeah! And then a big white light, and boom I am back on that damn island where I first started up with Dick Butkis in my pockets!! That is when I decided enough of this shit, and went on to play another game.

Damn, this is disappointing to hear. I was impressed by what they showed at E3 last year but I've heard others who've played the beta say that its better with friends.

How much of your disappointment was based on not knowing what to do in the game compared to some pube cutting you into bits repeatedly?

1 hour ago, Fifty said:

Damn, this is disappointing to hear. I was impressed by what they showed at E3 last year but I've heard others who've played the beta say that its better with friends.

How much of your disappointment was based on not knowing what to do in the game compared to some pube cutting you into bits repeatedly?

Pubes shred me to pieces on a daily basis. so it's more of a not know what to do? Basically every other MMO out there, there is a least guiding point or map, or something that gives you a general consensus of what you are supposed to do. And as I stated above, this maybe because it was in the beta mode, and when in retail things will be different. 

I tried out the scale test and found it odd that there was no guide or help in game and I had to look up some stuff online. I played it myself on Friday night and played it with my wife on Saturday night. I worry it's going to wear thin quickly but I plan to give it a try through Xbox Gamepass. Would love to see if we could get a full crew going on a couple nights?