Sign in to follow this  
BBQ Bacon

Instant Pot Stew

If you haven't fallen prey to the Instant Pot bandwagon you should.  I know how easily everyone here is swayed by public opinions on games, so I'm here to point you in the direction of the Instant Pot.

39786975344_1a696bf9fb_z_d.jpg

The nice thing about a pressure cooker, it does a fantastic job of tenderizing even the toughest cut of meat.  Therefore your stew does not have to be beef tenderloin to turn out spoon tender. 

Start off by tossing the beef in flour seasoned with salt and pepper.  Then set your Instant Pot on Stew, add a couple tablespoons of oil and wait for it to get hot.  Then drop some meat in a few at a time.  You don't want to crowd the bottom otherwise it slows down the browning process.

39786975554_3226f8ef1d_z_d.jpg

Try and get a good sear on all sides of the meat. Remove those that are done and add more until all the meat is done.

40454611612_bf7750003e_z_d.jpg

Unfortunately I forgot to take a pic of all the flavour bits left on the bottom of the pot.  This is the umami of any great stew.  Deglaze the pot with red wine to recover all the goodness.  Use a wooden spoon to help scrape all that flavour off the bottom.

40454611792_d1830879df_z_d.jpg

Add you meat back in and marvel at the magic you have created.

39786975564_d26cb3f1d8_z_d.jpg

Add the lid and set to Pressure.  It should default to 20 minutes, which is plenty of time to tenderize the meat.  When the the 20 minutes are up, safely release the pressure, remove the lid, then add your vegetables and seasonings.  For this stew, it was frozen mixed vegetables, pearl barley, 2 cans of sliced mushrooms (including the liquid) dehydrated garlic, basil, oregano, a couple bay leafs and onion powder.  Additional salt and pepper is necessary at this step as well.  I also add browning liquid to give it a nice deep rich colour and flavour.  More umami if you will.

9b93f900-40ec-491e-ba11-d2ec31beed58_1.4

Set your instant pot to stew, throw the lid back on and sit back and enjoy a frosty beverage for the next 35 minutes while the Instant Pot does its trick.  Don't forget to remove the bay leafs.  If you like potatoes in your stew, by all means add them in with the rest of the vegetables or when you are pressure cooking the beef.  Just know that 20 minutes to pressure cook potatoes turns them to almost mush, so would be too long.

39786975344_1a696bf9fb_z_d.jpg

That has been our favorite thing out of the Instant Pot so far. We use red wine and water mixture for the liquid part. I have also done a potato and sausage stew, which turned out really good!

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this  

GameCanadian Community :.

We're a new type of community who actually focus on the word community.  We have a goal to make in-person events to build off something that other communities can not do. We focus on building a team, and chat about our gaming hobby. Everyone is welcome on our website.

Staff :.

Fifty Fifty Administrators
creeping judas creeping judas Administrators
X-Warlock X-Warlock Administrators
The Outcast The Outcast Administrators
lucwolfe lucwolfe Administrators

Our Partners :.

Social Links :.