Sign in to follow this  
BBQ Bacon

Growing an apple tree from seed

On a whim I kept the seeds from a store bought apple.  Put them in a wet paper towel and in a ziplock bag for a couple weeks.  Well one of the sprouted a root.  So this past Sunday I planted it and I now have growth.  Kinda curious to see how well it does.

38749182380_a9d7dd68f3_z_d.jpg

Good luck!!

2 hours ago, BBQ Bacon said:

Kinda curious to see how well it does.

If your results are the same as mine, probably not great. I've tried this before with store-bought tomatoes, cucumbers, etc. Sprouts are always green, but they have never yielded great results (whereas produce grown from seeds have been great). I have a feeling produce grown for stores are hybridized or something & that doesn't get passed on through the seeds. 

Edited by MartyB

Quite possible.  Many apple producers graft apple limbs onto other trees to help with diseases and bugs, so the seed could produce any manner of a tree.  Will be interesting to see.  I don't care if it produces apples, I already have a tree that does that!

it will work for sure, that's what I do for video games, I put them in the ground.... then after a while I get all the DLC's... :D

• Haha 1

its grows water drops too ....:o 

pretty cool.... can't wait for the final results in 15 years ...hehe

• Like 1