Sign in to follow this  
BBQ Bacon

Facebook scam

Got an odd friends request this morning from an relative that I'm already friends with.  I thought it was odd but then again maybe he deleted and recreated his account.  So I accept and not long after that I get a Facebook message from him asking if I heard the good news.  I said no, what's up I'm out of touch.

"I got a $90,000 grant from the government and I don't have to pay it back."

"That is awesome.  Free money is always good money" I reply.

"You should apply.  Federal Social Private Grant Department.  I'll send you the number you can text to get more information."

At this point the spidey senses are tingling and something doesn't smell right in Denmark.

Then he sends me the number followed by another message have you texted the number yet.

While this is all going on, I'm on Google checking it out.

https://www.bbb.org/pittsburgh/news-events/bbb-scam-alerts/2017/03/government-grant-scammers-take-to-facebook/

At this point, I unfriend him and report it to Facebook and block further contact with him.  I then contacted my real uncle on Facebook to let him know that someone is using his identity to try and scam people on Facebook.  Hopefully no one gets caught by this.  I'm super suspicious of anything like this and it has always proven warranted.

23 hours ago, creeping judas said:

Was the fake uncle's profile pic blank? That's usually a give away that the account is a spam account.

Nope had the same pic as well, so looked very legit.